(Click image to view full screen. Click play to hear a recorded reading.)
Is it my duty
To put on
A pretty face for you
Simply because I’m a woman
As though my life
Weren’t meant for more
Than the shadowy
As though my life
Weren’t my own
Beyond what a man
Would pay for
No my friends
That moment has passed
Of social sickness
At least in my mind
But what’s true for you
Do you buy and consume
The old bloody ruse
The sins of old
Designed to confine us
One from another
For very poor soldiers
Converts and subjects
Are meant for more
Than such trifles
In a muddled
I’m looking forward to sharing this piece, and a couple others, TONIGHT, at the Spokane FemFest–Feminist Art Festival! Checkout this clip of our recent interview on Good Day Spokane, highlighting the event! And join us in Spokane, Washington tonight, 6 pm at the Bartlett, if you can!
Please enjoy my article for the March/April 2018 edition of the Loon Lake Times
- Compassion. Common Sense. Humanity. Love. Equality and Equity. For All.
- The Earth. The Water. Scientific Research. Human Rights, regardless of race, size, shape, identity, disability, affiliation, or sexual orientation.
- Bodily Autonomy. Healthcare and Access. Family Planning, Birth Control, Reproductive Rights. For our Mothers, Daughters, Sisters, Cousins, Friends, Neighbors, Ourselves.
- Legal Protections and Recognitions. In the Workplace, in the Home, in Public, in our Neighborhoods, Schools, and Community Streets. To Keep Us Safe from harassment, assault, rape, abduction, gunning down, and systematic economic discrimination.
- Build Bridges Not Walls. What about the real-life humans, critically contributing to our communities and economies. They immigrated simply trying to survive and perhaps even make a better life. Their aspirations may not be so different from yours or mine. Are we comfortable with relying on them to pick our fruits, clean our offices, slaughter our meats; only to shout “Shut Up, and Get Out”? As we gorge ourselves on cheap hamburgers, pesticide-laced apples, and twisted up versions of the “American dream”. And their children who arrived at young and tender ages, sharing classrooms, sports fields, and school lunches with our children for most of their lives; shall we shout “Get Out Too,” as we show them the door, with a steel-toed boot and baton in hand?
- Safety in Schools for our Children and Educators, from the tyranny of violent threat and chaos. Investment in Public Education Funding, for the infrastructure, supplies, teachers, and counselors guiding and shaping young minds—Our Future.
- Legal Protections for all from military grade weapons built for rapid, automated modes of nothing more than mass destruction. How many stacks of slaughtered, innocent civilians will it take, as politicians and lobbyists watch from ivory towers and yachts, golf clubs and private jets? Our “all or nothing” public dialogue about guns must seem so pathetically simple, amusing, and profitable to them.
Above are just some of the issues that mobilized over 4.2 million Americans at Women’s Marches across the country, the weekend of January 20th – 21st, in what some are tallying to be the largest demonstration in US history. Here in eastern Washington friends and neighbors also gathered, united in protest: 6,000+ strong in Spokane, 100+ strong in Chewelah. Our neighbors and friends, families and colleagues showed up, spoke out, refusing to be silenced by the unfortunate attempts of cowardly online bullies, drive-by verbal attacks, and even familial and workplace intimidation. So many of us in eastern Washington are no longer content to look the other way when misogyny, racism, unchecked greed, and power grabs of various sorts threaten our lives and our American democracy. Continue reading
Looking for an inspirational, affordable Valentine’s gift? How about a gift book that also supports others in great need?
“Sending You My Love” features uplifting poems & photos that ponder life, purpose, & the simple idea of Love as our ever-present guide. It’d make a great gift, whenever you’d like to share some Love! And part of the profits support children, families, animals, & communities in great need around the globe– through Project COLORS International Non-Profit Aid Society.
Learn more here: Gift Book: Sending You My Love